Wellfleet Waterfront Revealed, our new summer exhibition, tells the story through a carefully chosen collection of maps, photographs, ship models and objects essential to waterfront activities.Read More
The highlight from our collection: The Clam Diggers: WHS2013.3 is a beautiful wood engraving by Clare Leighton 153/250, signed and undated. It depicts 4 clam diggers working at low tide. It was generously donated by Julie Heller.Read More
Penny rugs were originally made from scraps of wool fabric or felt, as they were an economical way of using pieces that were too small to braid or hook. 19th century women saved scraps from men’s suits, hats or blankets. Named “Penny Rugs” because coins were used as a template.Read More
Mandoline Expressive Musical Box,
Mandoline Expressive Musical Box,
Model 7437 Paillard, Vaucher & Fils, St. Croix Switzerland, c 1880 w1957.12
This beautiful music box was the wedding gift of Englishman, Carl Taylor, to his bride, Mabel Tubman, a Wellfleet native. At 38, Mabel was living with her parents before her 1919 wedding to Carl, 44. Carl was an engineer who came to Cape Cod with Marconi to establish the Wireless Station in South Wellfleet in 1903.
Carl donated this music box to the Historical Society in 1957, shortly after Mabel’s passing.
With a single winding, its spring-powered clockwork mechanism can play thirty minutes of eight different musical selections as pins on its slowly revolving brass cylinder strike tuned steel teeth that vibrate musically.
In the early 20th Century, music boxes were displaced by Thomas Edison’s phonograph but in their day music boxes were highly coveted.
WELLFLEET — It’s easy to see history on Main Street until you get to the actual Wellfleet Historical Society and Museum.
Since 1951, the town has had one small historical museum attached to an ungainly hulk of a two-family home. Like the original museum structure, the two-family dates back to the early 1800s. But its face was masked by a one-story addition to the front, which most recently housed the art gallery of the late John Mulcahy.Read More
WHSM board and community members witness the backhoe jaws devour and remove the crumbling front portion of the middle section of the museum. The portion that had been a painting studio for artist John Mulcahy for ages was taken down and removed. Mulcahy passed away 6 years ago this month, his paintings and personal energy are missed here in Wellfleet. The new open space and soon to be restored facade of the Historical Society remind us of days gone by.
We are very excited about the renovation project getting underway. The community witnessed the demolition of the former Mulcahy studio and the extended rear portion of the building. This will make new space for events in the back yard and the new facade and gardens and pathways at the front of the newly redefined building.
Cape Codder, Posted Nov 2, 2018
WELLFLEET – A major reconstruction and renovation project is under way at the Wellfleet Historical Society and Museum, 266 West Main.
“This is long overdue,” Tom Jansen, member of the board of directors said when demolition of the front and back sections, both antiquated, of the society began Tuesday morning.
The project also will renovate some portions of the exterior and the interior of the building.
The museum is not part of the reconstruction and will stay intact. Jansen said the project will take one to two years.
“It will be well worth the wait,” he promised. …
Continue to article
With the help of a noted historical architect, WHSM has developed a three-phase plan to implement our vision our vision of a integrated building with new exhibition space and facilities.
The original antique store museum at 266 Main St. (our home since 1951), 258 Main St. and 262 Main St (acquired in 2015) will be integrated into one structure housing galleries, exhibit space, research facilities and archival storage.
Phase I, on track to begin in the summer of 2018, will involve removal of the additions in the front and back and restoration of the Main Street façade.
Phase II will include the integration of the three structures, the restoration of the building interior, a new main entrance and reception area, the creation of new galleries and exhibition spaces and the provision of handicap access.
Phase III will involve the creation of a new multi-purpose space for meetings, concerts, lectures, and special exhibits
Landscaping, including restoration of the period garden, will enhance both the front and back of the building, as well as provide access to the Town Hall and handicap parking.