As the evenings get cooler, sunsets are earlier and many of us turn our attention to spending time with photographs. These may be on fb or instagram, but in the latter half of the 19th century folks enjoyed looking at photographs using a stereoscope. This stereoscope was donated to WHS&M in 1963 by Colonel Herman Alvin Drehle.
The highlight from our collection: The Clam Diggers: WHS2013.3 is a beautiful wood engraving by Clare Leighton 153/250, signed and undated. It depicts 4 clam diggers working at low tide. It was generously donated by Julie Heller.
Penny rugs were originally made from scraps of wool fabric or felt, as they were an economical way of using pieces that were too small to braid or hook. 19th century women saved scraps from men’s suits, hats or blankets. Named “Penny Rugs” because coins were used as a template.
WELLFLEET — It’s easy to see history on Main Street until you get to the actual Wellfleet Historical Society and Museum.
Since 1951, the town has had one small historical museum attached to an ungainly hulk of a two-family home. Like the original museum structure, the two-family dates back to the early 1800s. But its face was masked by a one-story addition to the front, which most recently housed the art gallery of the late John Mulcahy.